small town politics

Everyone's got an opinion on governments and what's going on in the world
C-Dub
Aiming for Minion Status
Aiming for Minion Status

small town politics

Post by C-Dub »

yea this is an area that bothers me greatly, mostly because it involves me personally

i have some now serious beef with the local police department
lets just say i am not well liked, i might have done some things that were very highly blown out of proportion

it seems small town police have this need to be the hero, to prove to that town that it really needs them as a person to "serve and protect" and all that shit, to have a "culprit" at the end of the night so that PTA can have gossip material on wednesday nights, to have a face in the paper, to be able to say "crime is going up and we need to raise taxes", and to FUCKING pull me over and comment on how "i'm known" and "oh nice car, looks like the punks are moving on up"

and i love how they bring in personal things as basically reasons to pull me over, YES OFFICER GERRERA I DO KNOW YOUR DAUGHTER - DEAL WITH IT SHITCAKE, oh and sorry about the door to the groin, told ya my lawyer was better

that is all.
i am done venting.
[i][b]WERD[[/b]/i]
Sholix

Post by Sholix »

I have to agree with you on this issue <span style='color:red'>C-Dub</span>.
Though I'm from a huge metropolitan area myself, I've done a fair amount of travel by car thru Small Town, America. And have seen, first-hand how the local authorities (read Sherif &/or Sherif's Deputy) treats young adults and strangers.

The men, especially get harrassed while a woman, if willing to play the "Helpless, Hopeless Female" is usually smiled at and given a warning to be more careful.
Peter
Void Minion
Void Minion

Post by Peter »

I have to agree with you on this issue GOD.
Though I'm from a huge metropolitan area myself, I've done a fair amount of travel by car thru Small Town, America. And have seen, first-hand how the local authorities (read Sherif &/or Sherif's Deputy) treats young adults and strangers.

The men, especially get harrassed while a woman, if willing to play the "Helpless, Hopeless Female" is usually smiled at and given a warning to be more careful.
:lol:

the furthest thing on there is school ... about 20 miles

racetrack is about 15 miles and work about 7

plus i wouldnt be caught dead doing the speed limit :D
I'm not siding with anyone on this one but C-dub's quote may be the reason he's being centered out.

Just a thought.
Protector of the Holy Grail.
Sholix

Post by Sholix »

Come on HJ.
You gotta agree that cops suck, in general.
And that small town ones really do have some kind of attitude problem.

I think it's part of the hiring requirement or something. :wink:
Peter
Void Minion
Void Minion

Post by Peter »

Sure small town cops like to flaut their power.

But knowing that C-dub speeds and gives them the Cops an opportunity to pull him over. ;)
Protector of the Holy Grail.
Danny1810
Void Minion
Void Minion

Post by Danny1810 »

Its really simple, you have done bad stuff in the past, so in a small town it is easier to see the troublemakers and keep an eye on them. yes they might go too far, but your actions and attitude are that of a troublemaker.

Oh and i can completely understand why the cop would be concerned about his daughter being involved with a bunch of miscreants. He's clearly over-reacting.

If you had kept your nose clean in the first place you wouldnt have this hassle. You reap what you sow, even more in a small town where you arent anonymous at all.
Penfold, Shush
Sholix

Post by Sholix »

And can't a person change with age and maturity?
Don't they deserve the benefit of the doubt before being condemned all their life for youthful pranks and or mistakes?

What of the strangers going thru the town with no reputation there?
Danny1810
Void Minion
Void Minion

Post by Danny1810 »

Well following his bad start, are the cops supposed to believe he has changed just because he says so?

It needs to be earned, and will take time, resntment towards them wont help matters, next time they pull you over be pleasant and try and say "No problem officer, i appreciate you are just doing your job" with a straight face.

He has to prove he has changed and show that he can be trusted.

Doing anything to attract the attention of law enforcement will most likely stay with you for a long time.

Childhood pranks do not earn you that treatment, crossing the line does.
Penfold, Shush
Sholix

Post by Sholix »

Perhaps law enforcement officers there are different than they are here.

It tends to be more like I said in SmallTown, USA, where youthful transgressions do tend to stay with you all of your life no matter how much you might change.

You can go away and return years later, as straight as the proverbial arrow, and you're still thought of as that "troublesome prankster", that "John Doe" boy who got into all of that trouble.

And if someone with such a negative rep tries to respond in the manner you suggest, it's seen as being "funny" and copping an attitude with the police.

[me] shrugs.
It doesn't matter.
Think whatever you like.
Danny1810
Void Minion
Void Minion

Post by Danny1810 »

Of course they are gonna stay with him, these are called consequences
Penfold, Shush
Sholix

Post by Sholix »

Are you intentionally misinterpreting what I'm writing Danny or am I having some type of writers block today?

Short of being a convicted child molester, serial killer or rapist, I can't think of anything that should earn anyone the type of notority I'm speaking of.
I don't see where C-Dub says he actually did anything even half as bad as this and he's being made to pay for actions that may not even be criminal in nature.

He "knows" this officers daughter, he may have done some things that were "blown out of proportion" Nothing so far is seen as terrible behavior to me.
But maybe that's coz I grew up where kids act like kids and doing stupid shit was part of growing up.
Nobody's been branded as a juvenille delinquent for anything they've done as a "normal" teen-ager.

If things were really as harsh for kids as it seems from your writing, then I'd probably have just stayed at home on the computer during all of my spare time (as a teen) instead of going ut and innocently enjoying life.

And last time I checked chronic speeding wasn't classified along with rape, murder, and child-molestation.

C-Dub what did you do?
Break some windows? Drink beer when you were too young to do so legally? Spray-paint graffitti on someone elses property? Steal a car? Torture animals? Keep girls out past curfew? Get caught smoking a joint? Get caught smoking in school?

I honestly wanna know what horrendous things you've done now. :?
Danny1810
Void Minion
Void Minion

Post by Danny1810 »

Speeding is dangerous though and could end up with him killing someone.

things people do as a normal teenager dont warrant the attention he says he's getting.
I too would like to hear what stuff he has got in trouble for
Penfold, Shush
Musiclover
Void Regular
Void Regular

Post by Musiclover »

Anyway most cops are dumbfucks... When I was driving a "normal car", it was "Hey you" now that I drive a MB, it's "Sorry Sir" and I'm the same person, dressed the same, etc...
Sholix

Post by Sholix »

Hell Danny, driving period is dangerous for over 50% of the drivers on the roads today.
But we're not speaking of what "could be"

Take SM's comment one step further.
I get pulled over whenever I drive thru certain suburbs at night merely because the cop has pulled up alongside me and sees the color of my skin.

I get told that I'm driving erratically, or too slow ferchrissake, or that my license plate wasn't visible, any little excuse.
But why not pull me over from behind? Why wait til they pull even with me and can see me, then wave me over to the curb?

Soon as they see my hospital ID (I wear it or keep it clipped to my DL case, when going thru some 'burbs @ night just for this reason) they become apologetic.

It's a crock and they are F.O.S. for the most part. They profile and stereotype people and it doesn't matter what you're really like or how you might've changed from your "wild teenaged" years.
Danny1810
Void Minion
Void Minion

Post by Danny1810 »

Of course im talking about all of this as a non-driver :lol:
Penfold, Shush