US Policy

Everyone's got an opinion on governments and what's going on in the world
Musiclover
Void Regular
Void Regular

Post by Musiclover »

but it's the college that at the end chooses the president... right ? If it was direct shouldn't that be done by the vote of the people ?
Sholix

Post by Sholix »

SM I believe you're speakig of a "Simple Majority" vote.
This would be rather difficult to do with th population we have here.

Not only the numbers but the locations of all the people involved. makes it difficult for each and every voting aged person to be able to have an individual vote counted during our Presidential elections.

With the E.C. that we use it's actually easier to manage voting here. Even though as Ying said, it gets confusing.
YingSawSay
Lurker
Lurker

Post by YingSawSay »

Electorial Collge worked really well until the last Presidential election..then the flaws and cracks that were supposed to never be possible.....were...all of a sudden plausible.
Sholix

Post by Sholix »

Image yup-yup!
Danny1810
Void Minion
Void Minion

Post by Danny1810 »

Bush must have spent plenty of time and money looking for them so he could use them to his advantage

oh and a bit of nepotism helps too
Penfold, Shush
YingSawSay
Lurker
Lurker

Post by YingSawSay »

Well Bush and Gore (as you can tell I don't like either of em) both played the shit to the hilt. It was a bit ridiculous to watch.

Like I said before a long time ago...this country really is going to be sorry for not pushing Gen. Wesley Clark into the primaries this year.
Sholix

Post by Sholix »

He had no need to spend money, nor time looking for these flaws as they've always been there waiting to be exploited.
And all political "families" have a vast army of Poli-Sci majors in their camps to keep track of all such flaws, and point them out as needed.
YingSawSay
Lurker
Lurker

Post by YingSawSay »

He had no need to spend money, nor time looking for these flaws as they've always been there waiting to be exploited.
And all political "families" have a vast army of Poli-Sci majors in their camps to keep track of all such flaws, and point them out as needed.
Well said.
Musiclover
Void Regular
Void Regular

Post by Musiclover »

Not only the numbers but the locations of all the people involved. makes it difficult for each and every voting aged person to be able to have an individual vote counted during our Presidential elections.

With the E.C. that we use it's actually easier to manage voting here. Even though as Ying said, it gets confusing.
Look at India... possible and with 1.500.000.000 people...
YingSawSay
Lurker
Lurker

Post by YingSawSay »

Look at India... possible and with 1.500.000.000 people...
Don't really know where you pulled that fact from, but India also uses an electorial college. Wonder where they got the idea?
The President is elected by members of an Electoral College consisting of elected members of both Houses of Parliament and Legislative Assemblies of the states, with suitable weightage given to each vote. His term of office is five years.

Among other powers, the President can proclaim an emergency in the country if he is satisfied that the security of the country or of any part of its territory is threatened whether by war or external agression or armed rebellion. When there is a failure of the constitutional machinery in a state, he can assume to himself all or any of the functions of the government of that state.
The above is from this website:

<a href='http://www.asianinfo.org/asianinfo/india/politics.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.asianinfo.org/asianinfo/indi ... ics.htm</a>
Musiclover
Void Regular
Void Regular

Post by Musiclover »

I've been maybe misinformed...
YingSawSay
Lurker
Lurker

Post by YingSawSay »

It's okay. No big deal.
Sholix

Post by Sholix »

Thanks for that link Ying.
I wasted 30 minutes yesterday trying to find that information.
Danny1810
Void Minion
Void Minion

Post by Danny1810 »

India has nothing like 1.5bn people either

Youi may be thinking of China
Penfold, Shush
CinnamonGirl
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CinnamonGirl »

In all actuallity, it wasn't the electorial college system that failed, it was the result of the ass-backward voting system in the state of Florida.

No suprise that the gov. is none other than the brother of George, Jeb Bush....yes, Jeb, as in the Beverly Hillbillies. :roll: The shenanigans that took place in that state are shameful. Did anyone know that they actually REFUSED to allow certain people to vote....yes, I mean not admit them into the building to physically vote. Mainly, and this is beyond shameful, black voters. They actually denied access to a female black council member!

Why we as a country do not have a uniform voting system in this day and age is beyond me. :roll: