for my Birthday I got a book "FOOLISH WORDS" here'

"Anything" and "Goes". You don't need a high IQ to figure it out
Jean Pool
Am I there Yet?
Am I there Yet?

for my Birthday I got a book "FOOLISH WORDS" here'

Post by Jean Pool »

"All this notion of gollies being derogatory to black people is nonsense"~BBC, I don't get this one, but perhaps our British cousins could explain it.

And from George W. "I've changed my style somewhat, as you know. I'm less.. I pontificate less, although it may be hard to tell it from this show. And i'm more interacting with people." is he trying to be funny?

and another W: "Education is my top priority. However, education is not my top priority."

Just so the Brits don't feel left out: "The single most important two things we can do..." Tony Blair
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
v0id
Administrator
Administrator

Re: for my Birthday I got a book "FOOLISH WORDS" h

Post by v0id »

"All this notion of gollies being derogatory to black people is nonsense"~BBC, I don't get this one, but perhaps our British cousins could explain it.

you've got Enid Blyton to thank for that...
The claim that Golliwogs are racist is supported by literary depictions by writers such as Enid Blyton. Unlike Florence Upton's, Blyton's Golliwogs were often rude, mischievous, elfin villains. In Blyton's book, Here Comes Noddy Again, a Golliwog asks the hero for help, then steals his car. Blyton, one of the most prolific European writers, included the Golliwogs in many stories, but she only wrote three books primarily about Golliwogs: The Three Golliwogs (1944), The Proud Golliwog (1951), and The Golliwog Grumbled (1953). Her depictions of Golliwogs are, by contemporary standards, racially insensitive. An excerpt from The Three Golliwogs is illustrative:

Once the three bold golliwogs, Golly, Woggie, and Nigger, decided to go for a walk to Bumble-Bee Common. Golly wasn't quite ready so Woggie and Nigger said they would start off without him, and Golly would catch them up as soon as he could. So off went Woggie and Nigger, arm-in-arm, singing merrily their favourite song

-- which, as you may guess, was Blytons Ten Little Nigger Boys
*burp :kickcan:
Jean Pool
Am I there Yet?
Am I there Yet?

Post by Jean Pool »

that is pretty interesting.
Sholix

Post by Sholix »

I don't get it. :?
The American use of the word "Nigger" is really quite different from the European use of nigger.

I looked it up a l-o-n-g time ago and found out that the Oxford Unabridged Dictionary defined {then} nigger as a usurious person.
So I {hate using this one} assume European use nigger to be a tight-wad who charges way too much interest on money he finally decides to lend.

We all know what the American use, Nigger means, and it's definitely racist and demeening.

In fact the Americanization came about something like this: Negro (Spanish for black) > Nigra (USA Southern dialect, bastardization of the word) > Nigger (Poor White Trash further bastardization of Negro)
If those Hood-wearing Red-Necks had known they were calling us "High-intrest-money-lenders" they would've bent ove backward trying to not mis-pronounce the word in the first place. :) :cool:
Jean Pool
Am I there Yet?
Am I there Yet?

Post by Jean Pool »

if you put it in its proper context the author may not have intended anything racist, but still...woggy could also be racist. wait I have an OED

wog [derog & usu considered racially offensive {origin uncertain: perh acronym for westernized oriental gentleman or short for golliwog. A foreigner esp a onWhite one or one of Arab extraction.
Sholix

Post by Sholix »

I just love the way the English language plays with itself. :lol:
Jean Pool
Am I there Yet?
Am I there Yet?

Post by Jean Pool »

oh yeah me, too.
CinnamonGirl
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CinnamonGirl »

:wank:
Sholix

Post by Sholix »

Image CinnaTrip I wondered who was gonna make that comparison first. :lol:
CinnamonGirl
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CinnamonGirl »

You mean you had doubts it would be me? :lol: ;)
Sholix

Post by Sholix »

:lol: Just wasn't sure if you'd be on one of your afk's or not.
I was expecting T-Trip to beat you to it. :lol:
CinnamonGirl
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CinnamonGirl »

:lol: :lol: I'm too fast for T. :lol:
Sholix

Post by Sholix »

:cool: So I see. :)
CinnamonGirl
Administrator
Administrator