Day After Tomorrow (spoilers)

You either ripped off Hollywood or lined the overpaid actors pockets.
DoggyDelicious
Official Forum Dog
Official Forum Dog

Day After Tomorrow (spoilers)

Post by DoggyDelicious »

Saw it last night, and err not sure what to say really.Image
I don't think anybody expected this film to have any depth, and well it didn't. :lol:
Some of the special effects were amazing :shock: , which is what was expected.
However the space between the big effects sequences was too long, and the ending just dragged on too long.

To enjoy the film I guess you had to abandon any rational thinking and just go with the absurd plot and occurences, but even then I guarentee you will get bored.
Having said that I really enjoyed watching it. You HAVE to see this one on the big screen or just don't bother. I watched it at a friends house who has a projector set up and a super surround system so its actually better than the cinema. Image
The moments when the weather ripped the world apart were truly some of the best special effects sequences ever seen, in particular Manhattan being attacked by a giant tidal wave, you have to see it just for that moment!

The more I think about it the more stupid this film was. The messages it tries to put accross are far to clumsy and obvious. At the heart of the story is a father trying to make good with his son............... by err.......... walking from Washington to Manhattan in the biggest blizzard in 10,000 years
The reason he is going there? Err ........... well so that they can hug and everybody can feel nice :badgrin:

Don't get me wrong the special effects were amazing, and there were some moments of tension. I also liked the fact that the entire population of America was forced to flee to Mexico lmao. Although strangely enough there wasn't a single Mexican in the whole film ................. not even in Downtown LA!!! :o

The movie is big on American pride as well, and the whole notion of the US being invaded by a dark force. To watch a film like this you have to just go with it, but there were just too many ridiculously stupid notions to get passed. I have listed my favourites below........................
***(WARNING SPOILERS!!! DON'T SCROLL DOWN IF YOU WANT TO SEE IT)***

- A tidal Wave tears into Manhattan, completely engulfing the Statue of Liberty on its way. The wave is fucking huge and going at a ridiculous speed............ Our heroes are in the middle of the street and see it coming towards them.
Let me point out that the wave is travelling at an imeasurable speed and spitting aside buses like flies.
The wave is around two blocks from them when they see it...............................
They run up one flight of stairs into a Library (probably the shortest building in New York).................
They are saved!!! :roll:

You have to see the movie to understand how stupidly unbelievable this moment is.

- The world has been thrown into the ice age, and people cannot venture outside as their bodies will freeze within seconds. We earlier see a helicopter crash because the jet fuel froze solid and the rotars freeze mid-flight.
A man decides to take a Jeep from Washington to manhattan to visit his son................
The roads are all blocked and at a standstill.................
The Jeep breaks down..................
He decides to walk the rest of the way....................... :lol:

-The eye of the storm approaches them............
The temperature is amazingly low and we see it break the Empire State building in seconds.............
We see the frost (the coldest imaginable temperature engulf everything in its path.................
It chases our heroes (yes I did say chases :roll: )..............
They run back into the Library..................
It chases them down the corridor.......................
They just manage to escape into a room and shut the door!!!!!!!!!!!!
For fucks sake!
They shut the FUCKING door!!! Image

Oh I give up theres too many moments to list and I can't explain their stupidity.
You just have to see it............... you WILL be entertained, but I recommend leaving 3/4 of the way through as the star of the film (the Special Effects) doesn't make any notable appearances after that point.
CinnamonGirl
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CinnamonGirl »

Your reviews are just so action packed and informative Doggy. ;)

I too want to see this movie for the effects purposes only. I am well aware of the plot flaws and apparently there are many political undervibes (if that is actually a word :lol: ) as well.

There are people from all kinds of "save the planet" organizations handing out flyers on global warming to people on lines for this film. :roll: Uh...it's just a movie and we will probably all be dead waaaayyyyy before things got to that epic proportion.

Definately gonna see it in the theatre.
Merideth
I HAVE no life
I HAVE no life

Post by Merideth »

i've heard many of the same things and everyone i know only wants to see if for the effects. i even heard a movie critic say, plot=crap, acting performances=crap, movie overall=crap, special effects=tremendously awesome and the absolute ONLY reason to see the movie. but who the hell wants to pay $8+ a ticket just to see the special effects??? eeeeeccccckkkkkkk
Yes? What do [i][b]YOU[/i][/b] want?
v0id
Administrator
Administrator

Post by v0id »

Dogster did you go to see this :shock:

Or download it... I have a shitty cam version, quality is.. well lets say, it aint the best shall we. Haven't watched all of it (well to tell you the truth.. COULDN'T watch all of it)

Ohh and anyone starts bitching about you shouldn't download, go and see it, its better in the theatres... *Going through chemo... avoid Over crowded places.. immune sytem low*
*burp :kickcan:
DoggyDelicious
Official Forum Dog
Official Forum Dog

Post by DoggyDelicious »

No Voidster, a friend has a projector in his house................ gets the whole wall showing the flick, plus with his new surround sound system its better than the Cinema :D

I didn't download it, he had it on a copied DVD............... fairly good quality, Telesync I think, but very good quality
Peter
Void Minion
Void Minion

Post by Peter »

And it looks so good in the trailers.
Protector of the Holy Grail.
.:VerTiGo:.
I HAVE no life
I HAVE no life

Post by .:VerTiGo:. »

I saw the 15 minute preview on TV a couple of weeks ago, and I was totally impressed- which is basically why I went to see it. Doggy's right, the effects were WONDERFUL.. however, the movie as a whole sucked. It was too predictable. And the tidal wave thingy... it was scary (my fear of drowing enhanced that :lol: ) but as DD mentioned.. there's NO WAY they could have escaped that.. :roll: :lol: I wouldn't recommend it.
CinnamonGirl
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CinnamonGirl »

I saw this over the weekend and I will agree with Doggy that the special effects were awesome in this flick.

I love these types of movies....destruction of the earth and such...always a favorite of mine.

I am also able to suspend my beliefs and go with the story....if you can't, don't go to see flicks like this.

I agree that there are flaws...minor ones but not enough to leave you sayin, "That was just bullshit".

The destruction of NYC was by far the best part of the movie....and also where a few flaws came into play. Mainly the wave that comes and washes through the city.
First, NO WAVE is going to hit the city that way...meaning.....the ocean is NOT on the backside of the Statue of Liberty....that is where Jersey is. :roll: Would have been coming from the side of the statue...namely the side not holding the torch. The wave would have been coming from the south taking out lower Manhattan to start with and working it's way uptown.
Also...the Library is on 42nd street and the direction of the wave was actually coming from uptown. :roll: But that's ok.....I went with it anyway for the sheer effect. :D

The distruction of LA was cool too...except....for kinda the same reasons as stated above....the layout was off......the Hollywood sign is in HOLLYWOOD....not downtown LA...which was destroyed.

Overall...very exciting and there were a few nailbiting scenes for me.

Like I said...suspend your beliefs and go see.

:thumbsup:
I HAVE no life
I HAVE no life

That must be kinda cool for you, Cin... alot of movies are made in (or MEANT to be) NYC... :D Does the library really look like that?? :D
DoggyDelicious
Official Forum Dog
Official Forum Dog

Post by DoggyDelicious »

I still say the "being chased by the ice" scene was bullshit :lol:
I HAVE no life
I HAVE no life

:lol: I remember that.. :nodder: 'member when dude opens the helicopter door and freezes like, immediately? :shock: omg.. it was cold.
DoggyDelicious
Official Forum Dog
Official Forum Dog

Post by DoggyDelicious »

G.O.D
Voids my hero
Voids my hero

Post by G.O.D »

good special effects...horrible plot :P
[size=84][i]"One who knows nothing can understand nothing." Ansem~Kingdom Hearts
"Pray to me that they don't... pray to me anyway..." ~Eternal Darkness
"Are you trying to fight me... Or entertain me, Little One?" ~Eternal Darkness[/i][/size]
CinnamonGirl
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CinnamonGirl »

That must be kinda cool for you, Cin... alot of movies are made in (or MEANT to be) NYC... :D Does the library really look like that?? :D
Yeah...it is but there is always some flaw...like I said. Still cool though.

Yep...the library does look like that.
I HAVE no life
I HAVE no life

No one ever wants to do a movie in Greene County TN... :dunno: