Biking To Work

Everything about your job, or just bitch about that collegue who just surfs the internet all day

What to do on the commute to and fro' work?

F*ck it and go on the sidewalk
100%
Be a good little biker and stay at the curb at all times
No votes
Get in the right lane even if it means being in the middle of the road for a little bit
No votes

Total votes: 2

Lonely Black Heart
Lurker
Lurker

Biking To Work

Post by Lonely Black Heart »

Here's the scene:

I live in the worse part of town, and on my way to work in the heart of downtown I have to go thru the sleezy outskirts. I ride a bike, I'm white, and I tend to stick out.

Now,

I think its a law that if you're riding a bike you are supposed to stay off the sidewalk because you are a moving vehicle. But, to be a good little biker you are supposed to stay far to the side near the curb. Just one problem:with one-way streets and frequent forks into two lanes so that the right side becomes a turning lane I am stuck trying to be a good little biker and stay to the side while still having to go straight when others need to turn. I mean, they are in the turning lane. lol Well, I figure I may annoy drivers if I am in the lanes farther in towards the yellow line (or white, basically the center of the road) but I dont want to get run over by someone who has to turn. I think that tomorrow I will try and stay out of the turning lanes and maybe farther over towards the go-straigh-lane. Its really not that bad in the morning, because there is less traffic, but the route I take has more split lanes like that. There is more traffic on my way home but I go a different way and its mainly all straight.

I, of course, will be carrying a knife just in case. I would never bring it out in a fight, I am not that stupid, I just figure that if anyone runs me over that it would be a nice thing to have. Slash their tires and make'em stick aroung, I don't need to deal with anybody pulling a hit-and-run on me lol.
[size=75]Its so hard to see when you're eyes are rolling in the back of your head. Its even harder to speak when everything you say jst comes out wrong.
-Atreyu

I hope that this is my last fit
I ought to want to stop to quit[/size]
Lonely Black Heart
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Lonely Black Heart »

Well, in the morning I rode on the sidewalk a little more, but I never have any trouble in the morning anyway. I mixed rcurb and sidewalk on the way home. I think I will just use the sidewalk the whole time now when its easier. Some guy in a huge black SUV almost ran me down today. lol
[size=75]Its so hard to see when you're eyes are rolling in the back of your head. Its even harder to speak when everything you say jst comes out wrong.
-Atreyu

I hope that this is my last fit
I ought to want to stop to quit[/size]
Peter
Void Minion
Void Minion

Post by Peter »

I use to ride my bike to work but now I stick with my Sunfire.