Sig2Dat Walkthrough

It's NOT stealing.
v0id
Administrator
Administrator

Sig2Dat Walkthrough

Post by v0id »

Sig2Dat is used to add files to your KaZaA download list. Once installed you can click any of the quick links that are posted on sites with them (None here :whistle:). Always make sure you download the official Sig2Dat as there are some versions about that do not work correctly.

If you have any other version installed, you should un-install it first, although there should be no problems in installing it on top of what you have.

By clicking the icons in the list, you can select which to install

When you first run Sig2Dat it will show a screen like above, as you can see it has found my download location, that is where my KaZaA lite downloads its files. It has also told me It has not found Morpheus, Grokster or iMesh which I don't have installed. Although there are different methods of making a unique code by dragging and dropping, I will include the normal method by selecting "Signature Calculation" from its menu.

sig2dat.exe , The main program
url-sig2dat.reg , A registration file to instruct your browser how to use the quick links
Uninstall.exe, and some short cuts to the program.

Re-boot your PC after installation before you test it out, if you find its not working, go to the installation folder on your hard drive and double click url-sig2dat.reg and make sure there are no errors.

So how does it work
When you click a link to a zip file on the internet, your browser might ask you if you wish to open the file or save it. You may have WinZip installed, so that it will automatically download the zip file without asking you, so the .zip file may be associated with WinZip. Just as a .txt file may be associated with notepad.

In the same way, your browser has been set up to associate quick links with Sig2Dat, when you click any of them, Sig2Dat will automatically run, and deal with the quick link.

So what is a quick link
quick links do not provide a means of directly downloading a file, they only give the file size and a unique code of that file.

The code for each file is never the same, so when added to your KaZaA download list, a search will be done for a match of a file using that unique code. If a match is found it will start to download direct from the persons PC, if several matches are found, simultaneous downloading will begin from those sources.

Once the unique code has been made from a file, you can rename the file to anything you want, it will still be found, but you must not change the file structure in anyway or the code will also change, if for example you downloaded a wedding movie with bad frames, fixed them and shared the new file, it would no longer be the same as the original, and you would need to make a new code for it.

Making your own quick links and Hash Codes

If this is your first time, accept the defaults, and click Next, except the default location, if that is where you have also installed KaZaAlite resurection "C:Program FilesKazaaliteresurection" > Install

When the installation has finished, you can see what has been put on your system

Your mostly going to use the "as URL=" or the (hybrid on the same line).
Click the button "Select File(s) for calculation, then locate the file(s) on your hard drive, you can select one at a time or all of them at once. In this example I have selected just one file, as shown below.

As Url will look like this
CodecTest_Xvid_AC3.avi

File:CodecTest_Xvid_AC3.avi
Length:53248 Bytes,52KB|UUHash:=+h3IhDvuXFGattKiPPbPr/8v//8=

They can both be used, and as you can see, one shows more information than the other. But they will both work the same. Some people prefer to copy the codes and paste them into Sig2Dat, while others just click the quick link to automatically add it to their KaZaA download.

This is what the others look like..
As Normal
File:CodecTest_Xvid_AC3.avi
Length:53248 Bytes,52KB
UUHash:=+h3IhDvuXFGattKiPPbPr/8v//8=

As quick link HTML style
<a href="sig2dat:///|Files:CodecTest_Xvid_SC3.avi|Length:53248
Bytes,52KB|UUHash:=+h3IhDvuXFGattKiPPbPr/8v//8=|">CodecTest_Xvid_AC3.avi</a>

As hybrid HTML style
File:sig2dat:///|File:CodecTest_Xvid_AC3.avi|Length:53248
Bytes,52KB|UUHash:=+h3IhDvuXFGattKiPPbPr/8v//8=|"CodecTest_Xvid_AC3.avi</a>
Length:53248 Bytes,52KB UUHash:=+h3IhDvuXFGattKiPPbPr/8v//8=

Remember, when you click a quick link, you need to restart KaZaA before it is shown in your download list (Some will automatically add it without a restart). And the person who is sharing the file has to be online before you can start downloading, that can take anything from a few minutes to weeks !

Source: Some site I found... cant remember which one it was probably Viper from KL
*burp :kickcan:
^_^
Void Regular
Void Regular

Post by ^_^ »

K++ doesn't need to be restarted, it just starts the download.

Oh, and K++ 2.4.3 still works on the network whereas the original kazaalite doesn't
BOO