DVD Rom Drive

Are you computarded and need some help?
DoggyDelicious
Official Forum Dog
Official Forum Dog

DVD Rom Drive

Post by DoggyDelicious »

My DVD drive occasionally used to not read a DVD when I put it in the drive, but would work again after I shut down and restarted the computer.
But now suddenly it doesn't work no matter what I do.

My computer sees the drive is there, and says its working properly, but whenever I insert a DVD, the drive doesn't recognise it at all.
Just keeps telling me to insert a disc.

The strange thing is, it still recognises audio CDs :?

I uninstalled the drive and reinstalled it, but it is still doing the same thing :(
Could it be the actual hardware?
Fuck I hope not :cry:
v0id
Administrator
Administrator

Post by v0id »

tried installing windvd or cyberlink dvd?
*burp :kickcan:
DoggyDelicious
Official Forum Dog
Official Forum Dog

Post by DoggyDelicious »

Yeah I reinstalled my cyberlink........... still doesn't recognise any DVDs :?

Went to one of those geek forums.......... they just ignored my post........ probably because they didn't have a clue.
v0id
Administrator
Administrator

Post by v0id »

could be something in your registry thats stuffed it up...

Try different dvds or dvd roms?
Try the drive in another PC if thats an option

...then again it could be going the same way as my dvd drive. Mine reads dvds but takes a fookin' AGE and I swear its scratched some of my DVD copys :o
DoggyDelicious
Official Forum Dog
Official Forum Dog

Post by DoggyDelicious »

You could be right witht he registry thing............ I did have a a little clean up in there recently.

Mind you I reinstalled the damn thing with the original discs......... I hate this stupid piece of crap :evil:
I could live without the DVD drive for a while, but I'm just dying to rip some tracks off a PS2 game I got. :x
v0id
Administrator
Administrator

Post by v0id »

Ahh a ps2 disk? Try a standard DVD movie. If that works the ps2 disk may be dual layered and your drive mebbe cant read dual layered disks?
DoggyDelicious
Official Forum Dog
Official Forum Dog

Post by DoggyDelicious »

Yeah no normal DVD's work either. :cry:

The light comes on for a while......... like its trying to read them...... then nothing. :(
rayster
Geez! I Really Love This Place
Geez! I Really Love This Place

Post by rayster »

get a new dvd from the place you bought your computer or dvd player...had a frind that got a lemon an it totalled out his computer ...a bug in the dvd combined with a bad program disc was the problem...he got his computer fix now though
[url=http://theedge.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=idx][img]http://img185.echo.cx/img185/3787/raysterssig18uh.gif[/img][/url]
n7of9
Lurker
Lurker

Post by n7of9 »

try updating your firmware..make sure you get firware for the EXACT model you have

<a href='http://www.firmware.fr.st/' target='_blank'>http://www.firmware.fr.st/</a>
^_^
Void Regular
Void Regular

Post by ^_^ »

that could be something as simple as hardware incompatibility
I've put seen some stuppid stuff with boards run by the SIS chipsets.
Network cards would stuff up the IDE circuits that the DVD runs on. Only the secondary IDE, the hard drive was fine as it runs on the Primary.
Also, have seen problems with certain kinds of RAM conflicting as well.
It's enough to drive a fella bonkers ](*,)
BOO
v0id
Administrator
Administrator

Post by v0id »

ewwwww SIS boards are awful. But as it worked for the dogster before I doubt its that.

Its either a reg f*ck up or it has died. LITE-ON and LG Drives usually have a short lifespan (prolly explains the cheapness)

By what the dogster says his registry has been thoroughly raped
^_^
Void Regular
Void Regular

Post by ^_^ »

I guess I was thinking more the possibility that he might have added some conflicting hardware recently....
BOO
DoggyDelicious
Official Forum Dog
Official Forum Dog

Post by DoggyDelicious »

Well I havn't added anything recently, but the problem is I havn't used the DVD drive in ages, since I have a CD writer I use most of the time, so I have no idea how long its been fucked.

I thought it might be the virtual drive I have, but I uninstalled that and reinstalled the DVD drive and still nothing.
I actually found a thread on this Tech board where this guy had the exact same problem as me....... and it turned out his drive was just knackered. :(

So I figured I would just buy a a new one and make it a writable drive this time :P ................. I want an external drive.......... so any good suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)