V for Vendetta

You either ripped off Hollywood or lined the overpaid actors pockets.
Jean Pool
Am I there Yet?
Am I there Yet?

V for Vendetta

Post by Jean Pool »

It was pretty good. Something about Guy Fawks day in England. And I don't want to ruin it, but why must we remember the 5th of November?

...and what do Brits think of it? It takes place in the future in England. And they keep referring to America in the past tense.
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
G.O.D
Voids my hero
Voids my hero

Post by G.O.D »

Because it's the day Guy Fawkes tries to blow up Parliment because it was corrupt. Or something like that..though Parliment took a turn in the right direction after some event.

SPOILERS
And they refer to America in the past tense because they reference their war on terror which dragged on for way to long (kinda like it is now). And eventually the country broke into civil war (I think because of their stances on the war on terror). And the typical Democrat-Republican stuff. Basically they're laughing at the Americans for screwing up first by

1) Breaking away from the British
2) The extensive War on Terror
3) Their pathetic attempt to get help by sending grain over. So that guy said they should have their own "Tea Party" except with grain instead of tea.
[size=84][i]"One who knows nothing can understand nothing." Ansem~Kingdom Hearts
"Pray to me that they don't... pray to me anyway..." ~Eternal Darkness
"Are you trying to fight me... Or entertain me, Little One?" ~Eternal Darkness[/i][/size]
v0id
Administrator
Administrator

Post by v0id »

G.O.D, your spoiler makes me want to see this now :P
*burp :kickcan:
G.O.D
Voids my hero
Voids my hero

Post by G.O.D »

haha..figures :P

But anyway, its one of my favorite movies now. Especially since my first name starts with a V. So I can use the name V too!
[size=84][i]"One who knows nothing can understand nothing." Ansem~Kingdom Hearts
"Pray to me that they don't... pray to me anyway..." ~Eternal Darkness
"Are you trying to fight me... Or entertain me, Little One?" ~Eternal Darkness[/i][/size]
[^_^x]
Lurker
Lurker

Post by [^_^x] »

Please to remember
The Fifth of November,
Gunpowder treason plot.
I see no reason
Why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

and... I took this from some site:

Why do the English celebrate the day that their Parliament was nearly destroyed?

On the 5th November, 1605 in England, a group of Catholics who were unhappy at the way they were being treated by the laws of the day, conspired to blow up King James 1 and his Parliament in London.

One of the Catholics, Thomas Percy rented a cellar beneath the Palace of Westminster, and he, Guy Fawkes, Francis Tresham and others stashed away 36 barrels of gunpowder in readiness for their crime.

They were found out when Francis Tresham sent a letter to his brother in law Lord Monteagle advising him not to attend the Opening of Parliament.

Led by the 1st Earl of Salisbury, the gunpowder plot was discovered and Guy Fawkes was arrested as he entered the cellar. Some of the others escaped, some were arrested later and thrown into prison, some turned King's Evidence and told the names of the others involved.

Guy Fawkes himself was tortured until he revealed the names of his associates and he was hanged, drawn and quartered in 1606.

Wags down the ages have said that he was "the only man ever to have entered Parliament with honest intentions."

Unfortunately the incident meant even more difficulties for the English Catholics as the laws against them were made even tougher.

To this day, Guy Fawkes Night or Bonfire Night as it is often known, is celebrated every year in England on the 5th November.

In the week before the celebration, children stuff old clothes with newspaper and fashion a head out of anything they can find to make a Guy, they then display it with pride and ask passers by for 'a penny for the Guy'.

Soon after dusk on the 5th November at school playing fields, in back gardens, at town recreation sites or anywhere else that people can gather to build a huge bonfire and shoot hissing, popping, cracking fireworks into the night sky, the dastardly deeds of almost four hundred years ago are remembered as the culmination of the party is the burning of the effigy of Guy Fawkes on the bonfire.

Colleen Moulding
Copyright 2000