Canada's last WW1 veteran

Everyone's got an opinion on governments and what's going on in the world
Peter
Void Minion
Void Minion

Canada's last WW1 veteran

Post by Peter »

There are only 3 WW1 vets alive in Canada right now. Each are over 100 years old and now we have a debate in Canada to give the last Vet living a State Funeral when he dies if his family is willing.

Just thought I'd mention it.
Not Don
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Not Don »

I didn't know Canada ever had an army. They actually fought in a war? :) Seems kind of funny that the other two fought in WWI, lived to be over 100 but that isn't good enough to get a state funeral. You have to out live the other two. Kind of like Survivor / Canada. :)
[i]Let not the sands of time get in your crotch.
(Some Famous Guy)[/i]
Peter
Void Minion
Void Minion

Post by Peter »

Not Don wrote:I didn't know Canada ever had an army. They actually fought in a war? :) Seems kind of funny that the other two fought in WWI, lived to be over 100 but that isn't good enough to get a state funeral. You have to out live the other two. Kind of like Survivor / Canada. :)
I kinda take Canadian Military seriously.

I hope you take the time to look into Canada's military history. There are alot of things that will amaze you.
CinnamonGirl
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CinnamonGirl »

You definately don't want to mess with the Mounties! :shock:
Not Don
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Not Don »

I try to take things seriously but when I do reality slips in. But I'll try.......

Canadian Armed Forces
Today: 62,000 military personnel including 9,500 sailors, 19,500 soldiers, 14,500 air force personnel and 20,000 administrative and support personnel. There are also about 22,000 reservists.
Second World War: 60,000 men and women enlisted in Canada's armed forces in one month (September 1939) after the declaration of war.
First World War: More than 600,000 Canadians enlisted to fight in the First World War from 1914-1918.
Navy
Today: There are 30 surface ships, four submarines and 9,500 sailors in Canada's navy.
Second World War: At the end of the war, Canada had the third-largest fleet in the world, after the U.S. and the U.K. 23 Canadian ships were sunk by German U-Boats in the Battle of St. Lawrence alone.
First World War: During the course of the First World War, Canada's naval service grew to a force of 9,000 men and 100 ships.
Canadians on the front lines
Today: More than 1,200 members of the Armed Forces are deployed overseas.
Second World War: More than one million served and approximately 45,000 died.
First World War: Almost 620,000 Canadians served in First World War and 66,000 died.
Canada in NATO: Of NATO's 19 member countries, Canada is...First in land area (9,093,507 sq. km), and sixth in total military spending ($13 billion)
[i]Let not the sands of time get in your crotch.
(Some Famous Guy)[/i]
Peter
Void Minion
Void Minion

Post by Peter »

Excellent Not Don.

Now check out Vimmy Ridge. :shock:
^_^
Void Regular
Void Regular

Post by ^_^ »

CinnamonGirl wrote:You definately don't want to mess with the Mounties! :shock:
I just can't resist
If you can't mess with the Mounties, would you let them mess with you?
BOO