Poll: Groups Unhappy With Bush Performance

Everyone's got an opinion on governments and what's going on in the world

Are you satisfied with President Bush's performance over the past year?

yes
58%
No
42%

Total votes: 12

pawn
Moomin
Moomin

Poll: Groups Unhappy With Bush Performance

Post by pawn »

WASHINGTON (AP) - Evangelicals, Republican women, Southerners and other critical groups in President Bush's political coalition are increasingly worried about the direction the nation is headed and disappointed with his performance, an AP-Ipsos poll found.

The growing unease could be a troubling sign for a White House already struggling to keep the Republican Party base from slipping over Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers, Gulf Coast spending projects, immigration and other issues.

"Politically, this is very serious for the president," said James Thurber, a political scientist at American University. "If the base of his party has lost faith, that could spell trouble for his policy agenda and for the party generally."

Public sentiment about the nation's direction has sunk to new depths at a time people are anxious about Iraq, the economy, gas prices and the management of billions of dollars being spent for recovery from the nation's worst natural disaster.

Only 28 percent say the country is headed in the right direction while two-thirds, 66 percent, say it is on the wrong track, the poll found.

Those most likely to have lost confidence about the nation's direction over the past year include white evangelicals, down 30 percentage points since November, Republican women, down 28 points, Southerners, down 26 points, and suburban men, down 20 points.

Bush's supporters are uneasy about issues including federal deficits, immigration and his latest nomination for the Supreme Court. Social conservatives are concerned about his choice of Miers, a relatively unknown lawyer who has most recently served as White House counsel.

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/200510 ... e&SEC=news
The truth is generally seen, rarely heard.
-Balthasar Gracian
T-Boyd

Post by T-Boyd »

Now, aren't we expecting a landslide on this one?
[img]http://www.freefever.com/animatedgifs/animated/drunk4.gif[/img]
justme
Aiming for Minion Status
Aiming for Minion Status

Post by justme »

most likely a landslide around here - at least I would think so!
pawn
Moomin
Moomin

Post by pawn »

T-Boyd wrote:Now, aren't we expecting a landslide on this one?
A landslide with many..... :whistle:
-Balthasar Gracian
redrock
Moomin
Moomin

Post by redrock »

and to think i voted for that prick dont you folks think he has made enough money????

and to think they impeached Clinton just for getting a little head and lying about it to save his marriage

so his morals wasnt that popular but i thought he was doing a good job(some what) bet hell he was a politic also and they are all crooked or soon will be........
Jean Pool
Am I there Yet?
Am I there Yet?

Post by Jean Pool »

wha??? The tribe has spoken. Looks like that land ain't slidin' any where fast.
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
.:VerTiGo:.
I HAVE no life
I HAVE no life

Post by .:VerTiGo:. »

Looks that way dunnit? Hmmm...

I'm not saying anything else about the Prez. Ya'll voted for him, ya'll gotta live with it.
pawn
Moomin
Moomin

Post by pawn »

Wasn't Harreit Bush's personnal lawyer in Texas? She's never even served as any kind of judge in her career. Seems like he could have nominated a candidate with better qualifications. I could be wrong, in my opinion he's not even going to get a base hit with Miers.
-Balthasar Gracian
pawn
Moomin
Moomin

Post by pawn »

We'll see have this plays out, maybe the perception with Miers is that she was possibly nominated due to being close with the president.

BTW, there are many past presidents that have successfully governed through equally challanging times.
(FDR is probably the best example.)

In, my opinion Bush isn't in that club; history will likely record him as being mediocre at best.
-Balthasar Gracian
Jean Pool
Am I there Yet?
Am I there Yet?

Post by Jean Pool »

Be careful pawn.
Is used it is plain
For the politician's gain
As he rises to fame
And the poor white remains
On the caboose of the train
But it ain't him to blame
He's only a pawn in their game.
Bob Dylan
.:VerTiGo:.
I HAVE no life
I HAVE no life

Post by .:VerTiGo:. »

OoOokaaay...

Someone take the rubber cement from starjeanne, please..

Merideth
I HAVE no life
I HAVE no life

Post by Merideth »

name one president who didn't nominate people whom they knew on a personal level. i doubt you can.
Yes? What do [i][b]YOU[/i][/b] want?
pawn
Moomin
Moomin

Post by pawn »

Merideth wrote:name one president who didn't nominate people whom they knew on a personal level. i doubt you can.
You are probably 100% correct Merideth. To me its just a credibility issue.

The majority of the us population no longer trusts Bush's judgement, he doesn't seem to be able to admit when he has obviously made a mistake.
(Didn't we get into that mess in Iraq over Sadam's "Weapons of Mass Destruction") How was it put to Sadam, "Turn over your weapons of mass destruction or we will invade Iraq" The SOB didn't have any weapons to turn over.

Bush is both dogmatic and bull-headed, his fiscal irresponsibility turned a budget surplus from the Clinton years into the defict we will have to sort out for years to come.

:whistle:
-Balthasar Gracian
pawn
Moomin
Moomin

Post by pawn »

Devlin wrote:exactly....

and comparing Bush to FDR is far fetched to say the least..
I couldn't agree more. FDR was a strong leader, an excellent public speaker. Bush is a national disgrace, and embarresment to us all.
-Balthasar Gracian
Jean Pool
Am I there Yet?
Am I there Yet?

Post by Jean Pool »

VerTiGo wrote:OoOokaaay...

Someone take the rubber cement from starjeanne, please..

but i am just quoting poetry. I didn't write the stuff for chrriiiisakes. Gemme some more of the airplane glue. snif snifff