John Kerry worries Canada

Everyone's got an opinion on governments and what's going on in the world
Peter
Void Minion
Void Minion

John Kerry worries Canada

Post by Peter »

John Kerry made remarks about getting drugs from Canada to supplement the needs of America in a presidential debate.

Canada only has 30 million people and cannot supply such a large nation as the United States so our elected officals are now making laws to strictly limit what and how much Americans can buy from Canada.

Photo ID is now required to obtain flu shots to ensure that Canadian's needs are met.
Protector of the Holy Grail.
Sholix

Post by Sholix »

Jeez HJ it's kinda obvious that we couldn't buy any more than your companies would sell to us.
And Kerry's comments don't mean that he's gonna try to get ALL of our meds from Canada.
We have huge drug companies here and they'd pitch-a-bitch if the US consumers even thought about not buying their products.

Besides, the people here who get their medications from Canada don't buy em from the corner pharmacist or whatever.

Also Kerry isn't the first to say something about getting meds from Canada. With him it's a suggestion to help combat a big problem here.
People have been getting their meds from Canada for years now.

Some states even assist their citizens in obtaining them.

Hell tight-assed IL has finally gotten on the band-wagon last year, in order to help those on fixed incomes, who can't afford the medications their doctors prescribe for them monthly.
{And it took finally getting a Dem governor to do it! }

With the flu vaccine shortage this season, strict controls and ID is being required most places here too. :?
So don't any of you sneaky Canadians try to cross over and take a flu shot from some needy American either. :wink: (j/k HJ)
But anybody who wants my shot {I get one coz I'm a healthcare worker} can have it!
They make me sick anyway.
CinnamonGirl
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CinnamonGirl »

ShoTrip is correct HJ.

Kerry is not looking to take all the meds from Canadians and give them to Americans...that is not the case at all.

The problem is that many, if not most, American drug companies have gotten out of control when it comes to the cost of perscription drugs.
The entire industry was deregulated by Reagan....as well as many other goverment-regualted industries (airlines, telephone companies, electric companies, etc.). Hence we have a result of inflated prices across the board.

American seniors, primarily, look to get their perscriptions from Canada because it is one of the few, and closest contries that the drugs are still affordable to them.

Just one more note on deregulation...since it is one of the major causes that Americans are running to Canada to medicate themselves.

I ran across this article that is dated October 23, 2000....when Bush was running against Gore. It is frightening to see that the "predictions", if you can call them that, have come to pass.

Top-Down CIass Warfare
by Robert Kuttner
American Prospect magazine, October 23, 2000

The real class warfare in America today is top-down, as it has been ever since Ronald Reagan. The proposed Bush tax cut, which would bestow 43 percent of the money on the top 1 percent of earners, is just the beginning. The general conservative assault on social endeavor is occasionally principled and libertarian, but can be usefully understood in terms of class.

:hm: Sound familiar?

The rich don't need government because they can simply opt out-to private schools, exclusive clubs, gated communities, personal physicians, nannies, limousines, and helicopters. The rest of us depend on basic public services and social infrastructure. Starve Medicare, and you ration health care for those with a limited ability to pay. Cut federal help to schools, and you deny upward mobility to the children of the nonrich. Refuse to address the job-family straddle faced by working parents, and you assault every child whose parents cannot afford expensive private day care. That's class warfare, big-time.

Again.... :hm: Sound familiar?

Collective purpose is not just about social investment. Deregulation has been a backdoor form of class warfare. A generation ago, industries such as airlines, electric power generation, trucking, telephone service, hospitals, and banks were all government-regulated. Supposedly, deregulation would help consumers, but its practical effect has been a mixed bag. Airline fares have come down on average (along with service), but prices today are a crazy quilt, and average prices actually fell at a faster rate before deregulation. The whole airline system is now a mess. Likewise, electric power. Ditto banks. Ditto telephones.

:roll:

With deregulation the cutthroat battle for market share is often waged via steady erosions in pay, working conditions, and job security. Union workers with decent incomes are played off against casual labor. Consumers also suffer. If you wonder why some telephone operators sound barely literate, consider that many are nonunion workers who make as little as $6 an hour, and that turnover is high.

:hm:

What is true of telecommunications is also true of the airlines, hospitals and nursing homes, trucking companies, and public utilities. Deregulation guts good jobs. The blue-collar middle class, once the pride of America, is becoming an endangered species.

:thumbsdown:

Deregulation of global commerce is also a form of class warfare. It puts pressure on rich and poor nations to shred their social safety nets in order to reassure investors and bankers. It pits modestly well-paid industrial workers in the North against desperate ones in the developing South rather than forging a common strategy that applies basic rules of decent conduct to all capital investment flows.

That's my 2 cents..... :werd:
Jean Pool
Am I there Yet?
Am I there Yet?

Post by Jean Pool »

Yikes, that is scary. We have a government, and various expectations of what it should do. Think about the past when the government actually had a "war on poverty". Now it seems that war is more likely to kill poor people.
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
.:VerTiGo:.
I HAVE no life
I HAVE no life

Post by .:VerTiGo:. »

:roll: Good LORD, HJ!! Do ya think we're gonna come in and take all your medicine?? :lolol: :lol: Funny!!
CinnamonGirl
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CinnamonGirl »

All of it! Every last pill, drop of cough medicine and even all the throat lozengers...... :badgrin:
I HAVE no life
I HAVE no life

LMAO.. don't forget the TUMS!! :lolol: No more medicine for the Canadians!! :lol:

:dunno:
Jean Pool
Am I there Yet?
Am I there Yet?

Post by Jean Pool »

who ever thought Canada would become the drug capital of the world, what with legal pot and all.
CinnamonGirl
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CinnamonGirl »

LMAO.. don't forget the TUMS!! :lolol: No more medicine for the Canadians!! :lol:

:dunno:
Definately included are all over the counter drugs. ;)

And the pot...we are gonna take that as well....well, I'M gonna take that for myself anyway. :D
Peter
Void Minion
Void Minion

Post by Peter »

Wow I really got jumped on for what the Canadian Government is doing.
Personally I don't give a rats ass but apperantly our government wants to make sure our citizens are taken care of before others.

I guess 30% cheaper drugs fom Canada isn't all that attractive to the 50 million Americans that live close to our border.

We just had a train load of people from Florida come up here on an organized trip with the sole pourpose to buy our cheap drugs.

Laws are also being drafted to curb internet drug buying from Canada also.

It is a bigger deal than you want to believe. It's lead story up here.
Protector of the Holy Grail.
CinnamonGirl
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CinnamonGirl »

Wasn't meant to appear that anyone was jumping on you HJ.....just stating WHY it is being done by US elderly.
Jean Pool
Am I there Yet?
Am I there Yet?

Post by Jean Pool »

The real question is: How can we make money off this?
v0id
Administrator
Administrator

Post by v0id »

*burp :kickcan:
I HAVE no life
I HAVE no life

:lolol:
CinnamonGirl
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CinnamonGirl »

:lol: :lol: :lol: That should start ya on some ideas JP.