Holiday Spirits

"Anything" and "Goes". You don't need a high IQ to figure it out
T-Boyd

Holiday Spirits

Post by T-Boyd »

What's your favorite holiday drink? Spiked egg nog? A hot toddy?
[img]http://www.freefever.com/animatedgifs/animated/drunk4.gif[/img]
CinnamonGirl
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CinnamonGirl »

I like a spiked egg nog. Champagne is always a good drink during the holidays as well.
C-Dub
Aiming for Minion Status
Aiming for Minion Status

Post by C-Dub »

Hot tea.
[i][b]WERD[[/b]/i]
Jean Pool
Am I there Yet?
Am I there Yet?

Post by Jean Pool »

egg nog latte.
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Sholix

Post by Sholix »

Champagne, hot toddy, hot buttered rum, spiked hot lemon tea. :D
n7of9
Lurker
Lurker

Post by n7of9 »

:sigh:

again i don't know what youse are talking about :(

i've never quite known what egg nog is (and it sounds eeekkyy indeed)...and i thought 'hot toddy' was pommy for a sexy woman {i.e. 'i wouldn't mind giving that hot toddy one'}

bah...whatever!!
Sholix

Post by Sholix »

Sowee 7 :?

Eggnog is made of eggs (of course), milk, sugar, nutmeg, vanilla, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

It's cooked very gently over a low heat {salmonella ya know} then chilled and and put in a punchbowl.
Some add brandy at this point and you ladle it up for your guests to get drunk on while singing Holiday tunes. :)

Try [url=http://www.webtender.com/]<span style='color:red'>here</span> for the hot toddy, and probably some good eggnog recipes too. :D
Jean Pool
Am I there Yet?
Am I there Yet?

Post by Jean Pool »

thank you for the recipe. we always just put the egg in raw. never thought about it, but now that you mention it, we were like barabarians eating raw egg.
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
DoggyDelicious
Official Forum Dog
Official Forum Dog

Post by DoggyDelicious »

[quote]Sowee 7 :?

Eggnog is made of eggs (of course), milk, sugar, nutmeg, vanilla, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

It's cooked very gently over a low heat {salmonella ya know} then chilled and and put in a punchbowl.
Some add brandy at this point and you ladle it up for your guests to get drunk on while singing Holiday tunes. :)

Try [url=http://www.webtender.com/]<span style='color:red'>here</span>

That actually sounds delicious Image
I don't know why but I've never felt the urge to try eggnog, it always sounded nasty to me........ probably the fact that the words Egg and Nog don't exactly conjure up the image of a tasty alcoholic beverage.
But damn the recipe sounds great, I'm going to try and make some this weekend :) ........ you got any special tips Sho? Image

I like the sound of the sprinkling Cinnamon part Image
.:VerTiGo:.
I HAVE no life
I HAVE no life

Post by .:VerTiGo:. »

I like the sound of the sprinkling Cinnamon part Image
:cool: awesome! :lol:
T-Boyd

Post by T-Boyd »

Egg nog is GREAT! But too much can lead to, um, uncomfortable bowels.........

Ingredients:
6 separated Eggs
1 cup Sugar
1 pint Heavy cream
1 pint Milk
1 pint Bourbon
1 oz Rum
Mixing instructions:
Separate 6 eggs. Beat yolks well. Beat in 1/2 cup sugar. Clean/degrease beaters and bowl. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Beat in 1/2 cup sugar. Fold in yolks to whites. Gently stir in 1 pt heavy cream, 1 pt milk, 1 pt bourbon, and 1 oz rum. Serve as is or well chilled. Double recipe to fill a punch bowl.

Or, if you're in the states, buy a quart of pre-made, add bourbon, cinnamon (!), and imbibe!
[img]http://www.freefever.com/animatedgifs/animated/drunk4.gif[/img]
Sholix

Post by Sholix »

Actually T-Bro's recipe is an excellent one, but I cook my "nog" just til little bubbles start to form in the mixture, over a really low flame, stirring constantly to prevent lumps forming.

Add a 1/4 tsp of nutmeg and 1 of vanilla and you're set.

I coo<span style='color:red'>k</span> it coz of the thing with raw eggs and salmonella.
Makes it easier to keep it for a couple of days too if you cook it and wait until ready to serve to add the alcohol.

**Nutmeg and mace are the same according to <a href='http://tinyurl.com/5qk6v' target='_blank'>here</a>
n7of9
Lurker
Lurker

Post by n7of9 »

that does sound yummy indeed :D:D
DoggyDelicious
Official Forum Dog
Official Forum Dog

Post by DoggyDelicious »

So is your recipe the exact same as Mr T's, Sho, except that you heat yours and add some vanilla and nutmeg?Image

If so, what is nutmeg? is it like a liquid flavouring or some sort of solid? I was at the supermarket today and couldn't find any.

And Mr T....... you said a pint of bourbon......... I want my eggnog to have a nice kick to it, yet still be mellow......... maybe say a little stronger than Baileys Irish Cream or something........ is a pint for a regular EggNog or for a strong set your breath on fire Nog? :badgrin:

And also have either of you two EggNog masters experimented with the alcohol quantities and the alcohol itself?
I saw quite a few recipe's with different beverages used, like brandy and stuff......... I also love dark rum so was thinking maybe I could increase the ounce to maybe 5? :badgrin: ...or will that not work?

Maybe I should just make the Nog and conduct my experiments with individual portions. Image
DoggyDelicious
Official Forum Dog
Official Forum Dog

Post by DoggyDelicious »

.......and what is Heavy Cream? Image
we don't use that expression in England........... is it double cream?